Re: Re: [seul-edu] MS targeting schools for software audits...

On Monday 22 April 2002 13:46, Christopher Hill wrote:
- - -snip - - -
> In the case of the school that I work for, 99% of computers run Microsoft
> software anyway. In that situation, the School Agreement makes a lot of
> sense because it means you can use any version of Windows, Office, Works or
> Visual Studio, along with Encarta, and includes Client Access Licenses for
> most MS servers, for all of your computers, at a far reduced price (in the
> UK we've been quoted £40 per computer per annum).
- - -snip - - -
Forty Pounds British for licensing?  How much for upgrades?  Do you think M$
intends for any of those computers to be backward compatible from one upgrade
to the next?  Do you think M$ intends to move every one of those computers to
distributed software setups when it's ready?  Too many questions, and all of
them spell DOOOOO  MMMMMMM!   It gets even worse, when you consider that Open
Source competes directly at this point with M$ for quality and reliability,
without the cost.  People are perpetuating an impression of linux that
doesn't fit anymore.  Too bad.
Thanks,
Tom Poe
Reno, NV