[seul-edu] I'm going to regret this...

I know I'm going to regret sending this email, because I am going to be
busy enough over the next year or so, BUT, since I'm so very interested in
getting Linux as a standard at my new school (I'll explain what that might
mean in a bit), and since it seems there is some possibility of cobbling
together existing stuff into a distro of some ilk, I'll be happy to
volunteer to work with those folk who feel as I do...

OK - I'm not sure if I'm supposed to mention my employer in forums like
this because I'm new to education, so I'll be less than specific until I
find out what the rules are...

I am going to be responsible for the CS department/curriculum at a school
for gifted students associated with an engineering school.  I am already
teaching an elective there using Linux.  I officially start July 1st.  This
school also serves as a mechanism for training teachers on the latest in
teaching math, science and technology - they come to this school for up to
three years, and then return to their original school and "spread the
word", so to speak.

Here is what I *may* be able to leverage towards a Linux/Education
ISO/distro effort, and what the outcome *might* mean:

I am in something of a unique position to make some changes at my new
school in terms of CS, IT, and the rest of it.  More importantly, assuming
I don't screw-up along the way, these changes might propagate to other
districts by virtue of the school's charter in training other teachers.  I
might be able to leverage a few interested parties from the parent
engineering school, as well as the local LUG, to participate in cobbling
together something we might find useful.  (I'm basing this on what Doug
indicated in one of the threads about needing bodies to review
stuff.)  Several of the LUG members are already working on Linux proper, so
we know how to organize a geographically dispersed "development" and
"documentation" effort.

In terms of growing this beyond my new school, and assuming we feel we
should, some of us  here have access to Mad Dog and others who could make
mention of us from time to time.  So, if we get lucky, we might be able to
make a difference for a whole bunch of people out there.

A couple of things...

I'm thinking out loud here and you may think this is too ambitious...  Just
let me know.

Second, while I have lots and lots of experience at this sort of stuff in
high-tech, I am not so familiar with the educational landscape...  I'll
need to bother people more than I have already, if that is possible, about
the educational component.  ;-)

OK - have at it...  Let me know what you think!

Steve