Re: [school-discuss] RE: [seul-edu] Software selection for ISO--volunteers needed!

Chris Puttick wrote:

>  Is this ISO going to be targetted at (a) one country and/or (b)
> particular age ranges? In the UK (for example) there is a national
> curriculum, which means apps need to be located in that framework
> to be of use to the UK. What I'm trying to say, (and communication
> is not going well this week :-) ) is that the needs of UK schools
> in terms of curriculum software have to be addressed by placing
> applications by relevance (e.g. Maths Key Stage 2-4). Is that
> worthconsidering for other countries too?

Here in the States education below university level is commonly
referred to as "K-12," meaning kindergarten through grade 12.  My
feeling is that this CD should be targetted to that range
(below-university-level education).  I don't think it should be too
difficult to add tailoring for different country's educational
systems.  We need to assess the available applications for
pedagogical relevance first, along with the various administrative
and utility programs.  Once we've determined which programs we want
to include, people familiar with the requirements of different
systems can group them as needed for use within their system.  We
could even provide some tailoring of the installer to reflect that,
I think.  It will require some thought, but I don't intend for this
to be solely a US-applicable ISO.