Subject: RE: [DMCA_Discuss] What Laws Does M$ Refer to?
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 15:52:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ole Craig <olc@cs.umass.edu>
To: Raul Ruiz <raul.ruiz@yale.edu>

On 04/29/02 at 15:15, 'twas brillig and Raul Ruiz scrobe:

This was done to death on /. a little while ago.

Essentially, the "legal requirement" is contained in the EULA. What
the MS webpages don't tell you is that

	- it is a contractual (not statutory) requirement, bound to the
	  operating system license, not the computer hardware

	- it is valid only to the extent that the EULA is valid
	  (TTBOMK, this has never been tested in court)

	- it applies to the *donor*, not the recipient; i.e. If I give
	  a computer infected with Windows to a school, and fail to
	  supply the license and documentation along with it, then I
	  am in violation of the EULA, not the school. They can use
	  the computer as-is all they want, or install any new
	  operating system upon it -- *as long as that new operating
	  system license is not an "upgrade" to a presumptively-valid
	  previous OS.*

> I believe that they may simply be referring to the first sale doctrine
> (Title 17, Section 109) in an odd way. If you own a computer with windows
> pre-installed, and the terms of purchase of that computer require you to
> keep the operating system installed forever (not sure if it does, I never
> read those things), you must donate it along with the operating system and
> the license.

[...]

> Hi:  Anyone have any idea what laws are being referred to, here?

[...]

> http://www.microsoft.com/education/?id=DonatedComputers
>
> It is a legal requirement that pre-installed operating systems remain with
> a machine for the life of the machine. If a company or individual donates a
> machine to your school, it must be donated with the operating system that
> was
> installed on the PC.

		Ole
--
Ole Craig * olc@cs.umass.edu * UNIX; postmaster, news, web; SGI martyr *
CS Computing Facility, UMass * <www.cs.umass.edu/~olc/> for public key

perl -e 'print$i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'