Re: Topologica port to Linux (was: A call to action)

Well that was some email, Marshal. Are you fired up or what? It's
amusing reading someone else's interpretation of our reason d etre. Good
job you got it rightish!

Re all this time you're putting into Linux - are you goingto bill us for
it?

In message <000a01bedd3f$bd68e940$c34b95c1@desktop>, Marshal Anderson
<marshal@marshal.co.uk> writes

>> Well ... I took a quick look at the Topologica site
>> (http://www.topolgka.demon.co.uk/index.htm). The applications
>> there are
>> commercial, licensed apps. I don't have a clear idea of what you're
>> proposing that someone do.
>
>Produce a Linux version of one. Otherwise I can see a loop here where people
>sit around saying there's no  point in producing software because schools
>don't use Linux while schools don't use Linux because there's no software. I
>sorta gathered that was why we were invited into this listserve.
>
> Are you connected with the company
>> and able to
>> negotiate the details of an arrangement? Who are the "we" in your last
>> paragraph?
>>

>Topo is pretty much a 'garage operation' with a bunch of freelancers, of
>which I am one, working around it with a fairly common philosophy and a
>great deal of personal respect and trust. The proprietor is Brian Kerslake
>(brian@topologika.com). I think he would agree with me when I say that it is
>not some huge money machine (would that it were:) but it is a loose knit
>group of people who feel that there should be some standards and quality
>rather than simple froth in edsoft.
>
>> I didn't see any information about how the apps were written
>> -- the sorts of
>> details, like what programming language is involved,
>
>RISC OS machine code, RISC Basic 5, Visual Basic, Delphi, Director 6, - not
>sure what the up-coming Mac stuff is written in. Basically we use whatever
>tool seems right for the particular job on a particular platform.
>
> what
>> kinds of data
>> structures are used, etc. -- the kinds of information that
>> any sensible
>> programmer would ask about before committing to a job (or, in
>> my case, even
>> hazarding a guess about whether I have the technical qualifications to
>> consider taking it on).
>
>Well, have to be honest. In porting stuff before we've shown it to a
>programmer and they say whether they can do it or they can't. Not sure what
>you mean by data structures.
>

>> I looked at the demo of MathMania (picked because it was the
>> highest grade
>> level listed for a math program with a Windows demo version)
>> and ran through
>> it. It looks okay, but not all that different from other apps
>> I saw around
>> 5+ years ago for the Mac (back when I was a sysadmin/teacher in a K-8
>> private school).
>
>Yep - the original was written I think in '89 for Acorn.
>
> Without seeing more of the apps at work in
>> their current
>> forms, I have no good way to decide whether working on
>> converting them would
>> be a good investment -- either financially (if the resulting
>> product were
>> sold commercially) or as a public service bit of volunteer
> [...]

Brian Kerslake, TOPOLOGIKA SOFTWARE
1 South Harbour, Harbour Village, PENRYN, Cornwall, UK TR10 8LR
tel 0044(0)1326 377771   fax 0044(0)1326 376755
email brian@topologika.co.uk
http://www.topologika.co.uk

Educational Software Developers and Publishers Since 1987
GOLD AWARD WINNERS BETT '95, SILVER BETT '94