Sorry, I meant...

> > Closed software bad (well, not actually bad, just a rather
> uninspiring use
> > of the technology) Open software good (when it's good open
> software).
> >
> We're generally for open source software, but I think we need
> to realize
> that there are quite viable places for commercial, closed software.
> Those places are generally in specialized niches where the programs,

from an educational point of view. Closed software give no power to the
learner - drill & kill is closed software - it simply runs a series of
events. Open software - maybe a word processor or Logo - puts the learner in
full control of what's going on. There are, of course, an infinite number of
shades of grey in between.

Marshal

http://www.marshal.co.uk