Re: using Linux on limited 486s

Have you considered using dos/windows-for-workgroups on the 486 clients
instead
of W95 or W98?  Takes lots less space and works just as well for a school lab
on a tight budget.  I've used this approach in 2 labs and am building one
more right now.  A Linux/Samba box can handle your logins nicely, or if you
don't
need them, simply use a W95/W98 box to handle printer sharing; although Linux
workes very well there.  I've found WFW thrives on NE2000 clones at $10
each.  The big advantage of including Linux/Samba is for a file server,
allowing each
student his/her own home directory that can be always mapped to the same drive
letter (we use H: for "home"), and the student can therefore sit at a
different
machine each session.  The 16-bit versions of Netscape are not at all as huge
as the 32-bit ones.  For a reasonable word processor at no cost, use Write
that comes with WFW.

	Mike