Linux and its HyperStudiolessness

I'm part of a group that's trying to make Linux more suitable for
education <http://www.seul.org/edu>.  It's a matter of pulling it up
by its bootstraps in a way, because companies won't write or port
much educational software without many schools using Linux, but
Linux won't be used in many schools without some software.  If
you've tried it, you'll know that pulling yourself up by your
bootstraps is quite hard, impossible really, which is why it's such
an inappropriate metaphor when used optimistically.  But we hope
to do better than the metaphor implies.

Of course, one of the big applications in schools is HyperStudio.
Getting a port could prove difficult, all the more so now that
Knowledge Adventure owns it, so short of having HyperStudio we'd
like to have something that provides the same benefits.

What we'd like to know is what are the most important and loved
aspects of HyperStudio.  Do you like that there's only the three
types of objects, and the simplicity that implies?  Do you like that
there's lots of teachers that use HyperStudio that you can trade
ideas with?  (hmm... that would be hard to copy)  What are the
best parts?

Right now we're looking at Squeak <http://www.squeak.org> with
quite a bit of interest -- it's a multiplatform programming
environment which is moving towards making itself simpler and
more accessible.  We'd like to help them towards this goal, and
your input could help us figure out how to do that.

Thanks for you time.

--
Ian Bicking
bickiia@earlham.edu -- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~bickiia