Re: gperiodic is officially part of debian (was Re: gperiodic debian package complete except for man page)

> Date:    Tue, 10 Aug 1999 17:21:53 EDT
> To:      seul-edu@seul.org
> From:    Kyle Burton <mortis@voicenet.com>
> Subject: Re: gperiodic is officially part of debian (was Re: gperiodic debian package complete except for man page)
>
> >  - there are more than 118 elements (someone said to me, approx. 143)...
> >      can we get the others in as well?
>
> I didn't have data for those elements.  I could put in empty placeholders
> for them, but I could only find periodic charts that had up to 118 elements.

I have that big red REA engineering handbook laying around, that might have em

> What kinds of changes did you require for the makefiles?

I need a variable called $(DESTDIR) so that I can make the package install
into places like /foo/me/and/my/a/b/c/usr/bin/gperiodic... In that case,
$(DESTDIR)'s value would be /foo/me/and/my/a/b/c.

The effect would be that if I passed DESTDIR=/usr/gperiodic-a.b.c/debian/tmp,
then make install would put everything into /usr/gperiodic-a.b.c:  binaries,
man pages, readme files, examples, config files, other docs, etc.

If you have a target in the makefile called install, and it looks like this:

install: gperiodic gperiodic.man [etc]
	cp gperiodic $(prefix)/bin
	(install the other stuff like man pages)

then what I need is something like this:

(near the top)

# edited to add support for building under debian
DESTDIR=

  :
  :

(then, down the page near the install target:)

install: gperiodic gperiodic.man [etc]
        cp gperiodic $(DESTDIR)/$(prefix)/bin
        (install the other stuff like man pages into a dir off $(DESTDIR))

That's pretty much it... you would be modifying the Makefile.in files iirc.

-Jim

---
Jim Lynch       Finger for pgp key
as Laney College CIS admin:  jim@laney.edu   http://www.laney.edu/~jim/