[seul-edu] practical XML handling question

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Jason Mellen wrote:

> Hello,

Can somebody tell me what is the most efficient way to use XML
in applications.

I've at last learned how to parse XML from Python.
But beyond that I need to make queries into DOM-tree.
At the Vaults of Parnassus I've found XPath and it works.
BUT: it is so slow that no really busy app could torelate it.

As I am convinced here are some people who learned to use XML
at practical level, could you give some advice?

Which tools are good to use XML as efficiently as a  usual  DB?
(I know about XDMB, but am not aware of Python bindings for  it
and it is not clear how to make XPath/XSLT/XQL queries with it.)

*

Example problem is like this:

Suppose, I have lots of XML files in a dir tree.
I want to be able to make lots of queries per second in the form of
XPath/XQL statements (example

/article/author[@degree="none"]/first_name

)

Any advices, ideas?