Re: [seul-edu] Now I need advice on my music lab

On Sat, 5 Aug 2000, Marilyn Hagle wrote:

> My plan was to use these old machines as dumb terminals that
> run linux from a
> server.  I have the old crappy stuff right now, and would like
> to set it up for
> student use right away.
> [...]  Ultimately, I would like my student work stations
> to run Netscape
> and Jazz++ and some of the Linux programs you have all
> suggested.  I really
> want my student stations to be Linux clients . . . no Windoze.
>
> Can I install some simple Linux from a floppy and set these
> stations to connect
> to my servers?  I want to get my old icky computers
> operational, and then
> upgrade as the old pentiums become available.

I know we can help in converting these old machines into
Xterminals.  Ray and Chris have a good deal of experience at
this and I'm sure they'll be happy to help.  One thing I haven't
heard too much about is redirecting audio output from the system
running the program (the server) to the Xterminal.  I know that
VirtualFS <http://www.solucorp.qc.ca/virtualfs/> is intended for
just this sort of thing, but I've never used it myself.  Does
anyone have any experience with this?  It would be a useful
addition to the standard Xterminal setup if it works.

--
Doug Loss           The art of medicine consists of amusing the
dloss@suscom.net    patient while nature cures the disease.