Re: [seul-edu] Re: Building some seul-edu archives summaries

if you do categorize them it might be possible to use that data along with
some other info to submit it as part of the openarchives project
http://www.openarchives.org  all they need is basic metadata, most of which
will be in the e-mail header, and then a category and description.
At 09:33 AM 08/10/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>On the subject of the archive, how large are they?  I was
>thinking a searchable CD might be of some use. (personal
>vision)
>
>Bill
>
>Roger Dingledine wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 03:19:42AM -0400, karl wrote:
> > > Thanks a million for the URL/lead, Roger.
> > > I will skim through www.seul.org/archives/seul/edu/,
> > >
> > > How could I help categorize, or organize the mail-archives?
> > >
> > > Would you like to see a crisp page that has direct-links to relevant
> > > email-messages about free software-in-education pro-action?
> > >
> > > That is probably the best action I could make for my writings: to index
> > > all of my citations, sources, and leads in a one-page HTML list.
> > >
> > > Maybe I'm missing the idea?
> > >
> > >  --Karl
> >
> > Yes, that's right.
> >
> > There have been a number of previous attempts to do this. They all go a
> > little ways and then stop. So when you're working, you should make sure
> > that every step you take is useful. Think small, actually try to create
> > immediately useful documents. Don't expect to tackle all of the topics
> > and all of the archives -- they're much bigger than you realize.
> >
> > I suspect you will be most useful if you try to build documents to
> > answer your own questions, rather than anticipating what other people
> > "might want". This will a) make you most likely to actually do it, and b)
> > make it definitely useful for somebody out there.
> >
> > Somewhere in the archives is a nice start on this -- I think it was one
> > of the Bill's on here, who came up with a list of topics that it would
> > be nice to summarize. Doug left for vacation today, so he isn't here to
> > remind us who or where it is. Perhaps somebody else on the list can dig
> > this out more easily than I?
> >
> > I would be happy to provide you with all of the seul-edu mails in
> > mbox (mh) format, or also all of the webified mails in a big tarball
> > so you can download and browse them locally. Let me know what would
> > be convenient.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > --Roger
>
>--
>Look up and see the sky.
>That is the best kind of blues to experience.

Jeremy Hunsinger          	http://www.cddc.vt.edu
Instructor of Political Science	Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
Webmaster/Manager CDDC
526 Major Williams Hall 0130	http://www.cddc.vt.edu/jeremy --my homepage
Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA 24061		(540)-231-7614