Re: [seul-edu] Comprehensive Student Management System

I'm a Tech Coordinator for a district of 16,000.  2000 desktops and one
other full time tech.  I'm also trainer, grant writer Blah Blah Blah I
have an averse reaction to this below Doug

> This gets to something I've been thinking about recently.  We're working on
> gaining acceptance for Linux in education.  If we put web-based front-ends on
> everything we do, I think we may be relegating Linux to servers and back-end
> systems, as we're removing the reason for having Linux on the desktop.  I think

I already need to provide support for Macs WinX and NT
workstations. Shouldn't we promote the most cost effective open standards
based implementation of Linux (sorry to phrase that as a question _  I
definitely think we should)

> it's probably a good idea to have such front ends, but I think it's also
> important to have native Linux front-ends that are easier to use and perhaps
> more fully featured.  I want to see Linux on the desktop, not just in the wiring
> closet or the server farm.

I really don't care where it is as long as the reason I implement it makes
sense.  Solid solutions will win over more users than solutions engineered
with a certain marketing goal in mind.

--
Dan Kubilos
K-8  Tech Coord --- OSD