Re: Fw: RE: [seul-edu] Comprehensive Student Management

To everyone who has replied,

I believe that I have already gone on record as saying that I feel that
having a native X GUI is something that is needed to add extra incentive
for those not using X to move to it.  There are plenty of Windows/Mac
environment tools iof this sort out there.

I like the idea of a web client for this type of application, but the user
interface would be severely limited.  I'm sure it can be done, but I'm not
sure how people would like it.

Most of what I can say is regarding current expereience with SASIxp.

For those of you who are anxious to get a quick outline, (I will have the
details up this weekend) here goes:

Teachers use an application that takes attendance and grades.  The information
is then exported out to a file server.  Guidance office picks this up and
pulls it into the school's local database.  The district office
pulls the information from the schools on a nightly basis.

This local school database is located in a close to a hundred access databases.
I feel that this design is severely flawed.

So the teacher application really doesn't need to be very complex.  It should
be intuitive, but not too complex.  The complex application would be the
application that manages scheduling, student's information, attendance, etc.
Administrators use this information in reports.

One big problem that I find with it (SASIxp) is that it could be broken down
into smaller apps that do their job better.  A modular design would work better
IMHO.

So yes a teacher client could very easily be a web based client or a desktop
app.  Yes I know how that a web based client is in the interest of most
current K12 sysadmins.  Linux here is non existant as a desktop.  I know
exactly what you mean, Dan.  There is no way that I could currently
attempt to replace current Win9x, NT or Mac Desktops with Linux.

I feel that am important goal should be to have a nice graphical client
for X.  I also know that there are very few schools that are completely
Linux based.  Most of us are supporting every Windows release and several
of MacOS as well.  Every school could benifit from an open standards
application of this sort.

Hopefully, I have established my position on this.  This is a project
that already is going to be very large.  However, I am willing to
help make it work.  Hopefully you can see, if you did not before, that this
is much more than a gradebook/attendance application.

If we ever want Linux to ever gain desktop support in schools, certain
applications need to be there.  This is one of several that I feel that
need to be there.  I know that we would never even consider using linux
on a desktop without an application, or group of applications such as this.

Chris Edwards
Computer/Network Technician
Washington County Virginia Public Schools
http://www.wcs.k12.va.us