Spreading the word (was Re: [Fwd: Re: [seul-edu] Want to present at LINUXWORLD NY/2002?])

On Thu, 02 Aug 2001, zeruch [Joseph Estevao Arruda] wrote:

> My primary point was that LWCE is industry-centric, not
> community (with
> the possible exception of the .org pavillion, which really is
> a result
> of lobbying by entities like OSDN and LI) and so if you are
> going to do
> an .edu presentation, you should at least try to cater
> somewhat to the
> audience at hand. Otherwise, your only options are OLS and ALS
> (which
> are both great shows -I actually enjoy them more- but have a
> different bent).

Well, our organization focuses on educational applications for
Linux below university level.  I don't know how we would cater
to businesses--try to convince them there's money to be made in
putting Linux into the schools?  _That'd_ be a hard sell!
There's not much money to be made in educational consulting in
_any_form.

> There are plenty of Universities athat do not have a POSIX
> focus,
> especially after years of MS banging at their doors with
> 'freebies' and
> 'deals'.  Reversing that trend is (IMHO) a good task to have
> for an LWCE
> like show - and being able to do applicable examples to the
> business community certianly does not hurt.

It's true, but it's also a task for some other organization.  As
I say, we focus on below-university-level education.  If we try
to do everything, we'll end up doing nothing well.

> Pick the battle, pick the venue, state your case.  The rest is
> a free t-shirt ;)

I agree with you, Joe.  I'm just coming to believe that these
venues aren't the best ones for us to spend our limited
resources on.  I think we should be attending educational
conferences, rather than commerce-driven Linux ones.  The
trouble is, I don't know which conferences would be the best to
attend, what it would take in time and finances to attend them,
and what kind of presentations would work best for them.  For
anyone on the list: if you have answers to any or all of these
questions, post them here!  We want to get our message out to
the decision-makers in the schools, not just our fellow Linux
users.

--
Doug Loss           Advertisements contain the only truths
dloss@suscom.net    to be relied on in a newspaper.