Re: Spreading the word (was Re: [Fwd: Re: [seul-edu] Want to presentat LINUXWORLD NY/2002?])

Doug:

Thanks for those links, I'll definitely explore them in detail. My local LUG
(Alice Springs) is making more frequent noises about interacting with local
schools and maybe even assembling a school distro of our own.

Believe me, I would love to see Linux used more widely in schools, and I think
that most of the software needed is probably out there somewhere. However, I
have been working building a PHP/MySQL intranet at my school over the past
months, a process which has brought into sharp focus the breadth of the gap
between your average Linux enthusiast and your average teacher with respect to
understanding computers and managing them. The 'experts' in our schools here
in Alice Springs are mainly Mac people, who have no concept of a command line, a
config file or customising an application.

Then of course there's the whole terminal server thing, and the possibility of
doing almost everything via http. Hmm ... one life just isn't enough to explore
the rich possibilities of Linux and open source!

BTW, I'll release the intranet thingo as a GPL application when it achieves a
suitable level of maturity. Other PHP/MySQL thingos in the pipeline are a
website builder (uses a database to store web pages while building a project,
then writes everything to plain HTML when the project is finished), a student
newspaper application, and a report app for teachers that allows them to do
reports from home or wherever they like. Only the last app is true vapourware,
as all the others are currently being trialled at my school.

--
Michael Hall
mulga.com.au