Re: [seul-edu] Linux for kids

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 09:31:47AM +0930, Michael Hall wrote:
> The boxes they are using are very low end with mostly 486/P1 processors and
> 4/8/16 Mb RAM. So while they'd make great routers, they can't really cope with
> X.

That's what I was afraid of.  From what I've seen, Debian Jr. doesn't
manage well with so little ram.  Not that you couldn't get some subset
of it to work.  But I really wonder if it's worth the effort.

> Management knows very little about Linux and do not feel confident about using
> it. I've suggested they talk to a local LUG, but don't know where they're at
> with that right now.

And that was the second thing I was worried about too.  It's really
quite an undertaking if you don't have the support.

> So an easy to install and use distro of Linux for kids would be a
> great idea if anyone can get it together.

Debian Jr. aims for "kids will like this", not necessarily "easy to
install".  Although we do try to make it easier ... but we leverage
ease-of-install on the ease of installing Debian itself.  (We're famous
for that, don't you know? ;)

Ben