[seul-edu] Linuxtoday article: The Founder of PC's for Kids:"we have been looking hard at Linux"

Many thanks to Henry White of the Basiclinux list for this link.

SteelHead

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-08-06-011-20-OP-CY-MS

The Founder of PC's for Kids: "we have been looking hard at Linux"
Aug 6, 2001, 22 :48 UTC (50 Talkback[s]) (5411 reads)

Editor,

As the founder of PC's for Kids in Australia I wish to thank all in the
Linux community for their tips / suggestions and comments. Our project is
all about assisting our "less fortunate" children to gain vital advancement
in their educational life.

We are not bucking on the Linux community as some may feel, we have been
looking hard at Linux and four of our assistants have just attended a full
training session in Melbourne on Linux. Having just entered Linux it is a
whole new learing curve for us and we are starting to understand it more
each day.

The issue with Microsoft is of importance to all throughout the world. We
have received over 2,500 emails of support against only 29 emails supporting
(Bill Gates) not a very good (PR) trip down ISP lane for Microsoft.

Let's also consider the kids: we know they will learn Linux or other Open
software. To them it's like switching from football to handball. Kids in the
Australian education area do work daily with Microsoft. For this and other
issues of the Microsoft Corporate Law Officers we are trying to get
(Microsoft & Bill) to understand that you are hurting "Kids" in this whole
fight. The money they have pumped into fighting our little un-known charity
must be in the $$$$$$ sum. Children should have a choice in this FREE world,
hence the reason we are opting to fight Microsoft on the PR front so kids
will have the choice. Also, it must be pointed out that Microsoft will keep
attacking the good work of charities if we back down.

We are not on any ego trip here, just the right to assist kids. Please let
me say one final comment on this:

PC's for kids is a grass roots project made up of unemployed/retired and
other community members. We at PC's for Kids have no sponsor. We do not have
a fundraising team and we live day to day to serve chilren. Our loyal team
is committed to serve our less fortunate and no man can say we didn't give
it our best shot to assist children. So if Bill Gates or other Microsoft
employees are reading this, we hope common sense will prevail.

Regards,

Colin Bayes
President / Founder

Related Stories:
Question of the Day: Linux for Kids?(Aug 05, 2001)
http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-08-05-013-20-OP-CY

IDG.net.nz: Sydney Linux reseller throws lifeline to charities(Jul 27, 2001)
http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-07-27-012-20-NW-CY