Re: [seul-edu] Colin Dellow introduction

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Colin Dellow wrote:

You are welcome, Colin!

>Hello, everyone.  I just thought I'd post a quick introductory message
>about myself and, if possible, elicit some help acclimatizing to the
>Linux in education world.

>My name is Colin Dellow, I'm a high school student in Dawson Creek (look
>up, look up, look all the way up!), British Columbia, Canada.  I'm very
>interested in computers.  A purchase of a new hard drive has now allowed
>me to move to Linux on the home computer instead of just on the web
>server.
>
>I am competent in a handful of programming languages, but would only
>consider myself an expert in one -- an obscure language known as MOO.
>Anyway, after developing for the Windows UI and a stint with Apple's
>free compiler, neither of which I liked very much, I'm eager to dive
>into programming educational software for linux and working on linux
>advocacy in the local school district.  Thus, I was extremely happy to
>find kindred souls at SEUL/edu! :)

Probably you can help PythonCard project (~HyperCard) to become less
windows-centric. It uses wxPython to do GUI and thus will be almost
multi-major-platform. Look at the sourceforge.net
for "pythoncard" project. Discussion is going on at

pythoncard@yahoogroups.com

I hope that PythonCard project will become a key to many educational
projects, as it will make programming apps easier and high-level.
(Probably, Python will appeal more than MOO, unless you like mud
too much :-)
At least the following looks very similar in Python:

cf:
for x in (players())
  "Grendel eats peanut butter!";
  player:tell(x.name, " (", x, ")");
endfor

for x in players():
  print "Grendel eats peanut butter!"
  player.tell(x.name, " (", x, ")")
no pun intended!

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi

P.S. Sorry for the advertisements, but PythonCard is developing very
rapidly and is already usable proto!
--
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd@onego.ru _/
_/ Friday, August 10, 2001 _/ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 _/