Re: [seul-edu] Linux in Elementry

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 09:34:41AM -0700, Jennifer Dozar wrote:
> I am getting together with an elementary school teacher about trying to
> get a linux lab set up for the elementary school kids. She likes some of
> the games I've showed her, and she has brought her kids to our community
> lab. And they seemed to really enjoy it.  I showed her Tux Typing Monday
> evening, and she thought it was adorable :) And I showed her
> Linuxforkids.com and she wanted to see what those games were like. But
> since she ran windows, she couldn't get them to run.

Actually, some games (for example, a number of mine :) ) are being
written in a portable way.  My "Circus Linux!" game, for example,
is portable to Windows, MacOS, BeOS, etc., since it uses the libSDL
library.

I provide binaries for Windows, MacOS (although I haven't gotten it to
work on any Macs I've tried), and BeOS, along with source-code
(suitable for Linux users).  Others were gracious enough to send me
the Mac and BeOS ports.  I rolled the Windows one myself using
a cross-compiler under Linux. :)

> I would say for your Distro, don't get too far ahead of yourself, but it
> will bepossible :) Just hang in there while Linux is slowly taking a hold
> on schools.

Well, I wouldn't discourage folks from working on a distro, as a nice,
simple drop-in answer to a school's needs is better than a disparate
collection of software. ;)

-bill!