Re: [seul-edu] Linux in Elementry

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, you wrote:

> No, but it's there in the back of my mind.  I think I serve my children
> better by teaching them about computers in a style that celebrates the
> diversity and flexibility of the tool instead of assuming an
> inflexibility and inability on their part to adapt to any differences
> or inconsistencies there may be from one application to the next or one
> activity to the next.

Greetings,

I am a firm believer that we teach concepts rather than keystrokes.  Many years
ago I had the occasion to teach 5-8 computing.  We started out with PC-Write
(shareware) but could not get a site license.  Subsequently we got a license
for Framework IV.  My students had to learn two different word processors.  The
"a-HA" moments were many.  "Oh, that is how it works!"  By teaching two
different programs, I was able to give them the tools necessary to figure out
any word processor.

This concept is now used in my university level "Advanced Software
Applications" course where they get any program I can find to teach concepts.
Thus we are using Word, K-Office, StarOffice, Word Perfect, and groff.

Let's face it, Microsoft Word 6 and Microsoft Word 97 and Microsoft Word 2000
are all different, with different commands, different features, and different
file formats.  They share the name, that's it.

Does this idea translate into the elementry classroom?  I think so.  Don't hit
them with 5 programs, but with two.  And maybe the concepts learned with groff
may be the most basic and best foundation for teaching any word processor!  Set
the kids up with EE (easy editor) or Pico or VI.  Teach them the concepts as
seen with groff and memorandum macros.  Good stuff here.  (Ok, it won't work
for second graders... but it WILL for fifth.)

--
jeff williams - cfiaime@nconnect.net
		jeff.williams@cuw.edu