Re: EDU Distro - was Re: [seul-edu] Linux in Elementry

On Thursday 23 August 2001  9:53am, William Kendrick wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 09:17:08AM -0700, Samuel Hart wrote:
> <snip>
> > Actually, I personally think a whole distro should be made, instead of
> > simply overlaying an existing one. The biggest problem (IMHO) with
> > existing distros is that they come with far too many server items that
> > the average school would never need. Does each desktop /need/ a
> > web-server?
> Well, personally, I think web-server is a bad example, here.
<snip>
> The other potential use of a webserver is web-based administration by
> faculty.

Yes, there would be a use for web-servers. Just not on all the machines ;-)

This is another reason I would like to have multiple distros, each geared for
specific edu tasks (and why I mentionned the following ;-)

> > One of the things I have been thinking about (and that we plan on doing
> > in Tux4Kids) is there needs to be multiple distros, each geared
> > specifically for different needs and different skill-sets.
> >
> > There would be one for the average school desktop machine, one for
> > administrative systems, etc.
>
> Totally... this is, IMUO*, the best way to go.
<snip>
> > We at Tux4Kids actually have a /very early/ prototype of just such a
> > distro, you can see screenshots of it here:
> > http://www.geekcomix.com/snh/o/m/e/g/a/01-02-16/shots.html
> > http://www.geekcomix.com/snh/o/m/e/g/a/01-02-19/shots.html
>
> Hey!  Circus Linux! :)  Cool!  I need to make some more uber-kid-friendly
> games.

Yeah you do.... you're a machine at making these games! ;-)

BTW, on a side-note, this distro wasn't originally intended to be used in the
way we are aiming now. Originally, this was to be an embedded Linux distro
for a product similar to (and in competition with ;-) this from V-Tech:
http://www.vtechkids.com/gradeschool/g_powerzone.html

However, we couldn't keep the hardware cheap enough ($300 was as cheap as we
could get, $150 more than the average parent would spend back in *brighter*
economic times ;-) so we modified it and turned it into what we have now.

--
Sam "Criswell" Hart <criswell@geekcomix.com> AIM, Yahoo!: <criswell4069>
Homepage: < http://www.geekcomix.com/snh/ >