Re: [seul-edu] Linux in Elementary

On Thursday 23 August 2001  2:15pm, Robert Rickenbrode II wrote:
<snip of a great rant, and a great point ;-) >
> Ideally, to get Linux on the desktop in education you need to simplify the
> UI, get the big commercial software houses to begin supporting it, set it
> up correctly, and lock it down. Train. Repeat.

Exactly.

The one thing I say differently is screw the big commercial software
houses... We can make high-quality educational software ourselves ;-)

And actually, on that Training thing.... someone said a while back (I forget
who) that what is needed is a book that deals with the needs of end-users,
rather than the installation and system administrative stuff that most Linux
books have.

While this book would not be good for the average teacher, it would be ideal
to introduce IT workers in schools (who probably dont have the skills of
Robert, here ;-) to what can be done with Linux.

If there isn't already a book out there like this, maybe someone should
consider writing it? ;-)

--
Sam "Criswell" Hart <criswell@geekcomix.com> AIM, Yahoo!: <criswell4069>
Homepage: < http://www.geekcomix.com/snh/ >