Re: [seul-edu] Linux in Elementry

Maybe I am missing some of the points. But I am looking at a slow transition
for most schools and users to the Linux OS. Throw a GUI editor like nedit or
something of that sort to allow them to use something they are familiar
with. Then you can move on to vi or emacs once they are a little more
comfortable.

For example my wife went out of town I droped a Linux Dist on her machine
and when she came home she was all into learning it. I showed her various
parts of it and then she asked well how do I edit such and such file. So I
claimed easy open the file with vi filename so she did. When she seen vi she
got scared. Now I know vi is a very simple editor but to drop someone from
GUI like windows to vi is a little harsh I think.

The way we are planning it is to try to get rid of the command line
utilities and go with GUI so that they dont get scared or intimidated by the
computer.

Just my 2c

-Matt