Re: [seul-edu] Edu Distros?

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Les Richardson wrote:

> Given the amount of work required to manage and update a
> distribution, I
> don't think it makes much sense to create a separate one just
> for a
> particular group of users (ie. elementary education.)

I'm with Les and Ben Armstrong on this.  A long time ago we
talked about developing a SEUL distro for educational use.  We
decided instead that it made a lot more sense to come up with a
CD of packages and an installation system that would allow users
to choose whatever distro they wanted.  We didn't want to end up
in competition with others on something that was peripheral to
our core goal, educational software for Linux.  So having
anything we made work with the largest number of distros
possible was the only thing that made sense.

I also agree with Ben that educational specialization should be
a matter of automated installation selections from a standard
distro rather than a specialized distro.  Whether that's done
with tasksel or KickStart (or something else) is immaterial; the
concept stands.  You should use a fully featured distro and
select the needed portions for the task at hand, rather than
cutting the distro down going in.

--
Doug Loss           Advertisements contain the only truths
dloss@suscom.net    to be relied on in a newspaper.