any OSS text mode word processors?

[Bob Hopcroft suggested I post here. This search is in relation to the
Computerbank project, http://www.melbourne.net/kylie/vision.html.]

I've been looking for zero-cost word processors that run on Linux.  There
are a few candidates in various degrees of stability and functionality:
Lyx, Pathetic Writer, AbiWord, Maxwell, and of course StarOffice for
personal use. Problem is these all assume X and consequently sufficient
CPU and memory. This is a problem if you want to recycle 386s and
low-end 486s.

Seems people have forgotten, in the rush to GUIs, that it was possible
to get very decent work done with text mode terminals and word processors
like Wordstar, WordPerfect, etc.

Does anybody know of Open Source text mode WPs for Linux/Unix? Even if
they were written for DOS, if they are Open Source, I could look into
doing a port.

Sorry, I don't count vim, emacs, groff, TeX, lout, etc as WPs. I use
some of these very successfully, but a WP has to be WYSINWYG.

PS: I've just looked at pico and joe and these fits some requirements,
but are not really WPs.