Re: Example project idea

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Daniel Moore wrote:

Hi,

>On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Roman Suzi wrote:
>
>>They are expected to fill the gaps and receive some remark from
>>the program, especially on typical errors.
>
>Would it be a multiple choice type testing situation?  Reasons why one
>word is better than another would be provided by the writers of the
>questions.

I think, it will be programmable, allowing
- multiple choice
- fill-in (words and individual letters or punctuation marks)

>Or would it be a fill in the blank?  Where the computer would have to
>judge the appropriateness of the word entered.
>
>Example problem (perhaps??):
>
>The acceleration of the particle down the ___ include a component of
>horizontal acceleration.
>
>a) incline
>b) decline
>c) gulley
>d) bottle

Hmmm... Yes, something like that and also:

The ac..el..ration of {'the','a',' '} particle down the ___ include a component of
horizontal acceleration.

>I know this isn't a great example, but it's what I have off the top of
>my head.  This multiple choice test would be a kind of a
>vocabulary builder.
>If it's not like this, would we be looking at an antonym type testing?
>Letting the student type anything into a blank would involve an
>extensive dictionary.  Is this the idea?  (This sounds a lot like the
>GRE I took a few weeks ago.)

Both. It will be up to the teacher, preparing his own 'cards'.

There must also be different modes of running.

1) training mode
2) self-control mode
3) assessment mode

- with different types of replies (usually concerning writeness
of the answers: - immediatly, - after all answers are gathered,
- not at all, only results/grade)

>>I have a non-OSS prototype for DOS, but I am not satisfied with
>>it. It gives stupid diagnostics, confusing students.
>
>Could I please get the name of this program.

Well, one is for toefl (Teaching  (?)  Of  English  as  Foreign
Language). The other one is for russain language and is  called
'Fraza'. Both are for DOS.

>>Now I am going to think about language  to  represent  problems
>>in,  so  it  will  be  easier  converted  into  all  kinds   of
>>front-ends.
>
>Is this language that you refer to above the computer language, or the
>written language?

Data-representation language, of course.

>>I also think the 'kernel' could be made in Perl - so we get the
>>result faster.
>
>Perl's usually a great idea <duck>.

Yes.

Sincerely yours,