Gradebook / Introduction

Hello!

Just subscribed to the list yesterday, and thought I'd take a minute to
introduce myself.

I'm Eric Sandeen, and I live in Texas.  I'm an engineer and a computer
nut, and I've been running Linux for about 9 months, with some other
*nix experience before that.  I have a little programming background,
but I'm pretty rusty at this point.  I'm trying to get back into it.

My wife's a teacher, and I've seen what she goes through.  :-)  I
decided to look for a Linux gradebook app because the shareware program
she's using now is buggy and no longer supported.  That search brought
me here.

I'd like to contribute to this gradebook project.  As I said, I'm not
the world's greatest coder, although I can probably help with debugging,
useability (via my wife and coworkers) and with documentation.  I've
actually used a few gradebook tools in the course of helping my wife
with her work, so I may have some experience in terms of what's out
there, what works, and what doesn't (for me, anyway).  I'm putting
together a list of features that I think would be good, interface ideas,
etc.

I was very excited to find this list!  I'll probably lurk for a while to
see what's going on, and submit my ideas for world domination when
they're finalized.  :-)

Incidentally, I found *another* person who's working on a Gnome/Linux
gradebook, at http://my.voyager.net/bradley/  Not much going on there
yet, looks like he's just getting started.

-Eric

After years of struggle I learned how to keep
Windows alive.  Now that is not fun anymore, so
I decided to waste some life learning how Linux works.