Re: Older Equiptment

On Sat, 12 Dec 1998, Douglas Loss wrote:

> >I'm trying to find more info about this magic networking component called
> >"bridge", which apparently allows several serial connections to be
> >gathered into an ehternet connection.
[snip handy links and bridge background]

Thanks that helps a lot.  My confusion is that at UTD, these devicess are
called bridges, but basically all they are doing is interfacing with WYSE
terminals running plain serial connections. These devices would greatly
simplify interfacing terminals, no need to try to configure a digiboard.

When you mentioned 'terminal server' it kinda threw me for a loop there,
because when I think 'terminal server' the first think that pops in my
head is 'radius proxy server' :)

> The main reason for going with a standard data structure based on XML (as I
> see it) is to allow anyone to develop programs to operate on the data with
> whatever user interface they want.  Students could take tests via a
> GNOME-based app, teachers could use a curses-based gradebook against that
> data, and parents could receive reports on their children via the web.  The
> data don't care.

That's how I see it. Just so long as development on the lower end gets
done it'll all be ok :)

--
Michael Hamblin            http://www.utdallas.edu/~michaelh/
michaelh@utdallas.edu      http://www.ductape.net/