Re: Edu howto idea.

In message <3.0.5.32.19981212200502.0091f6e0@pawo.tasis.ch>, bill@tasis.ch writes:
>project and administer it.  Does this sound like a good idea?  Is there a
>place we could collect these How-tos?  It seems to me that this would be a

In general, I'm happy to put anything on the seul pages that:
* isn't commercial (meaning it doesn't earn anybody any money)
* advocates or improves linux (directly or indirectly)
* isn't Huge (if it is, we'll negotiate. I'm currently hosting Project
  Independence's distribution (www.independence.seul.org), which is going
  to be over a gig soon.)

For more specific details, check out http://www.seul.org/what/manifesto.html

Meaning yes, if you document it I'll put it on the seul page. (Or better
yet I'll sucker Doug or Wil into doing it, but you can abstract that part
away.)

As for the suggestion of dividing the group to concentrate on specific
tasks, I would very much recommend not doing this yet. It's very easy
to lose momentum at this stage if there aren't people throwing out cool
ideas on a daily basis.

And as for the 'linux with old hardware' thread, I hope somebody's keeping
the computerbank project (http://www.seul.org/archives/computerbank/)
informed? Perhaps somebody who's been reading the threads should contact
them about working together on that part. They're going to need all of that
info documented as well, after all.

I'll look further into ELKS after the weekend. It looks like a very
cute gutted-old-linux-kernel-that-still-works-well. I'm not sure how
far they've gotten in terms of apps that work well on it. Getting a good
distrib (not just kernel) for 286 or XT boxes might be just what some
of you need... the main problem is that most of the fancy ui-oriented
apps these days are also resource-intensive. But I digress.

Thanks,
--Roger