Re: help with XML (fwd)

  Hi Doug,

> I help run the seul-edu mailinglist, which is dedicated to
> furthering the use of Linux in education.  We are working on a
> number of projects, most notably school administrative software
> for kindergarten through grade 12 schools.  We are in the process
> of defining an XML DTD that we hope to use for our data
> structures throughout this project.

  Ok, good idea !

> Some of the coders on our list have asked for some help in
> figuring out how to read from and write to XML in their
> programs.  They've asked for a small example program that they
> can pull apart and examine to see how they should work with XML.
> Since you helped with that in the writing of gnumeric I figured
> I'd ask you for some pointers to useful information about using
> XML within programs and about using gnome-xml in particular.

  No problem,

I suggest that you get the version from the Gnome CVS base, I guess
it shouldn't be a problem (otherwise ask for more input). Then in the
gnome-xml directory there is a sub-directory called "doc". I suggest
you have a look at it, I have put a copy on-line :

   http://rpmfind.net/veillard/XML/xml.html

This rough documentation is not exhaustive but tries to give a "global
vision" of the library. The complete API is in the header files,
especially "tree.h".
  The source code contains the extensive description of each functions
and I'm waiting for the tools which will generate the documentation
from the comments. I guess the tool should be available soon, last time
I discussed with Miguel about that he concluded "before 1.0", so there
is good hope.

  Note that the parser currently doesn't do any validation, I hope I will
have time to implement this soon. Note also that I'm in the process of
moving back to France and I may have trouble accessing and answering my
mail in a near future, otherwise I will do my best to help you using
the XML library,

Daniel

--
Daniel.Veillard@w3.org | W3C  MIT/LCS  NE43-344  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel : +1 617 253 5884  | 545 Technology Square   | Linux, WWW, rpm2html,

--
Doug Loss            An idealist is one who, on noticing that
dloss@csrlink.net    roses smell better than cabbage, concludes