Re: White Horse

Here is some info from the  file  which  comes  with  some  GNU
programs:

From ABOUT-NLS:
<<
   For the GNU Translation Project to be a success, we need interested
people who like their own language and write it well, and who are also
able to synergize with other translators speaking the same language.
Each translation team has its own mailing list, courtesy of Linux
International.  You may reach your translation team at the address
`LL@li.org', replacing LL by the two-letter ISO 639 code for your
language.  Language codes are *not* the same as the country codes given
in ISO 3166.  The following translation teams exist, as of February
1997:

     Arabic `ar', Chinese `zh', Czech `cs', Danish `da', Dutch `nl',
     English `en', Esperanto `eo', Finnish `fi', French `fr', German
     `de', Greek `el', Hebrew `he', Hungarian `hu', Irish `ga', Italian
     `it', Indonesian `id', Japanese `ja', Korean `ko', Latin `la',
     Norwegian `no', Persian `fa', Polish `pl', Portuguese `pt',
     Russian `ru', Slovenian `sl', Spanish `es', Swedish `sv', Telugu
     `te', Turkish `tr' and Ukrainian `uk'.

For example, you may reach the Chinese translation team by writing to
`zh@li.org'.

   If you'd like to volunteer to *work* at translating messages, you
should become a member of the translating team for your own language.
The subscribing address is *not* the same as the list itself, it has
`-request' appended.  For example, speakers of Swedish can send a
message to `sv-request@li.org', having this message body:

     subscribe

   Keep in mind that team members are expected to participate
*actively* in translations, or at solving translational difficulties,
rather than merely lurking around.  If your team does not exist yet and
you want to start one, or if you are unsure about what to do or how to
get started, please write to `gnu-translation@gnu.ai.mit.edu' to reach
the GNU coordinator for all translator teams.

On Sun, 20 Dec 1998 EAMorical@aol.com wrote:

>Just some thoughts. I just came across the Chinese-HOWTO
>(http://www.ssc.com/linux/LDP/HOWTO/Chinese-HOWTO.html). I assume you are
>familar with it. I can see I'm going to get an education. I was curious who is
>going to do the translation and how many people are involved? This would give
>me an idea of what is realistic. Also I've been thinking about copyright
>issues. Most documentation is copyrighted. This means getting permission to
>translate. I have started to think about what general categories one would
>want documentation for. For a start I came up with the following list:
>
>About "free" software
>About Linux
>Linux Distributions
>HowTo do a Linux install
>HowTo use Linux
>HowTo install/use for each application
>Hardware issues
>
>If I have read things right, you wish to start the translations in 3 or 4
>weeks. Also you will need to have your network up and running by then. Have
>you purchased your new computers yet. You asked for some help in planning.
>Here are some thoughts. First, let me state how I see your network
>functioning. You will start with an intranet eventually connected to the
>internet with a T1 line. The intranet will consist of 4 old P100 computers in
>classrooms connected together with 8 new computers in a computer room. What's
>not clear is whether one of the new computers will be the file server
>mentioned. Also what about a print server. You could use the fifth P100 for a
>print server or save it for a firewall computer when you connect to the
>internet. At this point you need 12 ethernet cards and an ethernet hub. There
>are 12 port hubs but I would recommend a hub with more ports both for
>expansion and for connecting to the internet computer. If you use the fifth
>P100 as a firewall between the intranet and the internet, it will require two
>ethernet cards. If there isn't room for two more cards, you can take something
>out since all this computer will be doing is checking packets. Finally you
>will need a computer for your web server which sits outside of your firewall
>computer. The web server will have both a T1 card and an ethernet card to
>connect to one of the ethernet cards on the firewall computer. Thus the setup
>looks as follows: ( Internet )----( T1 card web server ethernet card )----(
>ethernet card firewall computer ethernet card )----( ethernet hub )----( 12
>Intranet computers each with an ethernet card ). This set up requires a T1
>card and 15 ethernet cards. you asked about network cards. Looking through
>posts on ethernet cards,I picked one that seems to give a good overview. It
>was posted on 12/18/98. An excerpt follows:
>>We use 3c900 (Vortex) cards. They seem rock-solid, fast, and stable.
>>Get the latest drivers from cesdis: http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers
>For a T1 card, everyone seems to be recommending Sangoma
> [...]

Sincerely yours,
Roman A. Suzi

 -- Petrozavodsk -- Karelia -- Russia --