Re: [seul-edu] Some ideas re: LinuxCanada2000

Pete St. Onge wrote:

> OVERVIEW TALK

[snipped lots of good organizational ideas]

> BOOTH
>
> Lots of stuff can be done here.
>
> A lot of people have talked about how great Linux should be for
> education. Linux isn't about talk or vapourware. It's about real apps,
> real solutions. Until they see it for real, few people will bite. Well,
> time to show it.

This is an important point.  We talk a great deal, and fairly well, but
for something like this we need to show real stuff.

> The goal would be to demonstrate two things at once, namely:
>
>   - existing SEUL-EDU-supported software
>   - how schools can leverage existing hardware via Xterminals
>
> This shouldn't be much work, as everyone has tried the software already,
> RIGHT? :)  486's are easy to come by, save for the boot roms for the
> nics. The case of the 486 could be left off so that folks could see the
> innards, namely the mb, nic, ram, and power supply. The server could be
> placed elsewhere, hidden maybe.

Just as important will be an old Mac or two, I think.  Lots of schools
have these and realize they're rapidly becoming useless.  If we can show
a new use for them as Mac/Linux X-terminals we may catch a lot of
attention.

> I have some numbers for a business case for Xterminals versus new
> hardware, and I can provide these for the cause. (Doug: I may write this
> up into an advocacy article between now and the conference)

This also will be very handy.  Pete, now that you've brought it up it's
yours to do.  Have it on my desk by morning :-).

> My feeling here is that unless we can actually show how well this can
> work, few people will consider using Xterms. Connecting via a hub means
> that someone could actually build a couple of extra Xterms at the booth,
> and put them online as folks watch.

That's a pretty good idea.  Especially if we can set it up to be a
clean, quick install.

> P.S.: Sorry, Doug. :)
>
> "Never give a 7-yr.-old a whoopee cushion." -- Doug Loss

Don't apologize; that was an observation based on life experience.