[seul-edu] TINY install report

Odile,

I'd like to report on a Tiny installation I started this week end.

I used a laptop Compaq 486, 120M HD, 8M ram, modem and floppy. I had a Debian
install on it, so I knew the video and the modem can work under Linux.

I downloaded the utils and base (A ) package. In Red Hat, unzip is not part of
the distribution, so I got one from Freshmeat.

A couple of the 12 floppies had bad sectors on them, so the install didn't
work right the first time. I threw them away and started over....

I then installed the N package, configured the modem, and logged on my ISP !
Yeah !

I got the SVGA server and started downloading the xbase but the modem hang up
before the 14M had made it all the way .... I'll try again today.

Comments so far:

The A and N package took about 45M of the HD, with the swap, that leaves about
50M extra. I guess with X and other goodies, I won't have much left when I'm
done.
This should work fine for any old 386 or 486. The only problem is the time to
install. Assuming you have all your floppies ready, it will still take at
least an hour for A and N package, and probably another hour to go through the
X package.
Then at the local computer store, you can get NE2000 ISA network card for $10
(new) and a 4 way hub for $25, and your classroom network is ready !

Problems:
The only major problem was that lilo didn't install automatically, I had to
set it up by hand. I also had to create the fstab file.  It just wasn't there.

It will help if the person doing the install has experience doing slackware
distribution install.

A few items I would suggest adding in your readme file:
- Have at least 20 floppies available before you start
- with 8 M of RAM, you have to set up the swap by hand before you can run
setup. (or setup will crash)
- I don't know what the ifup0 that you refer to is.
- After you install the A package, you need the N package before you can use
the modem.
- use pppsetup to setup your ISP connection, then ppp-go to connect

Overall it went pretty well,  good job Odile.

Chris.