[Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: [seul-edu] RE: [why schools don't adopt OSS]]]

-------- Original Message --------

From: Paolo Pumilia <pumilia@acm.org>
To: seul-edu@seul.org
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [seul-edu] RE: [why schools don't adopt OSS]]

>From Doug Loss, Nov 27:
 .> From: Jim Thomas <jthomas@bittware.com>
 .> I still think the community needs to come out with an Education
 .> Distribution to ease installation.
 .I agree with Roger on this.  It would be a major effort to keep such a
 .distro up to date, and would duplicate work that's already being done.
 .Additionally, you would measurably reduce the chances of any of the
 .major distros being interested in supporting the the coalition if they
 .saw it as in competition with them.
 .

Perhaps SEUL could be of help to schools in this regard through an
agreement with major linux distributions to add special tasks
(school-server, school-staff, school-student, etc) to their installation
disks, whose content (programs and configuration files) are maintained
by
a special team.
Whichever distro people happen to work with, they could recover the same
starting set up they are accustomed to, by selecting a school-task.

Updating tasks could be problematic, since linux distributions evolve
at different pace, though...

--
Paolo