Re: [seul-edu] Great do list from Teemu: Forming a coalition -- LEARNUX

Phil Collins wrote:

> Not to be a party-goer, but no one appears to have used the all-caps
> acronym LEARNUX.    LEARNUX, Linux Education Archive Research and
> News Users eXchange, also a combo of Learn and Linux, appears to be
> available to SEUL or any other first taker.

At this point, I'd rather we just pick a name rather than try to come up
with some tortured and/or incomprehensible acronym.  I've been using
Schoolforge, as David Bucknell already owns that domain, but Learnux
might be a useful alternative.  Learnux would seem to me to be fairly
closely tied to Linux, while we're talking about free/open source
software more generally, but it bears discussion.

WE at SEUL/edu have talked to the Learnux folks in Toronto (indeed, some
of them are members of the seul-edu mailing list, I think), and don't
wish to step on any toes.  If they want to throw the Learnux name into
the ring, we'll be happy to consider using it.

> Note:  Another Linux for kids group, active this year, 2001, is Geeks
> Into The Streets at http://linux.umbc.edu/gits/

I've been aware of Jeff's efforts for a while now.  I'm pretty sure I
mentioned it in one of the Linux in education reports.

> Note:  SEUL already hosts a Linux distro, the 386 and up,
> many-floppy, TINY, at http://'tiny.seul.org .  Brave GNU World
> reviewed TINY on August 21, 2001,
> http://www.gnu.org/brave-gnu-world/issue-30.en.html
> stating:
>
> Due to an acute lack of time, the project is currently halted. Also
> feedback from evolving countries is still lacking. So the current
> team would like to turn over the project to another group of people
> that they would give every help and support they can.

Odile would greatly enjoy having someone step up and assume
responsibility for TINY.  I think it is a great idea and I'd like to see
it continue, but I know that Odile has family and life responsibilities
that preclude her from putting much effort into it at the moment.  If
anyone would step forward, she (and I) would be very happy.

Doug Loss
drloss@home.com