Re: [seul-edu] Microsoft Cans Linux in Spanish

The English version is posted at:
http://www.microsoft.com/education/?ID=Win2KBeacon

I read it--bunch of MS propaganda--like the folks as Beacon had never heard
of LDAP and PHP, (the 2 pieces of software you would use on a Linux box to
provide all those win 2000 services that MS implies Beacon wasn't getting
from Linux).

Here's a quote from the article:

+-------------------------------------------------------
| The Need to Keep Up
|But Adrian Evans - IT consultant on staff at the school - and the
administration knew that this
|infrastructure wasn't sufficient to keep the school in the forefront of IT
use. In particular,
|the Linux Web server - used as an external Internet proxy server, mail host
and filtering system
|- made it difficult for teachers, students and administrators to create and
post documents to the
|school's intranet, and to synchronize that site with the school's public
Internet site.

|To post a document to the intranet, users had to go to the network
directory, find a list of
|shares, go to the correct HTML directory, and drag files to the appropriate
folder. Having to
|take these steps made it less likely that students would share projects,
that teachers would
|share lesson plans, or that administrators share memos and reports. It also
increased support
|costs, as users were continually emailing documents to the IT support staff
with requests that
|they be posted to the intranet.

|"Publishing to the intranet site is important," points out Evans. "Like
many other publicly-
|funded organizations, we saw a big push to create our initial site - but
then the site became
|more and more out of date because people couldn't easily publish to it and
we didn't have the
|budget for a dedicated Web designer."
+------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm--I particularly like the last sentence about the budget.  Wonder how
much did they spent for the MS stuff?
Attacking Linux on the Server side strikes me as insane, but MS has never
lacked gall.

Regards,
Gary Frankenbery
Grants Pass High School
Grants Pass, OR
"It is good to rub and polish our brain against that of others."
----Michael Eyquende Montaigue