Re: [seul-edu] Resources and environment (was Reservations ..: site tools ..)

Hi Larry,

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I agree with your characterization of the
wiki as a good tool during the thought formation process. I have found it
useful in that sense myself, and didn't recognize it until you said so.

Let me say that I now understand how the curriculum aspect of schoolforge is,
or could be, just a small, though important part of it. But what should that
part be? Does anyone really think that we need a tool by which people can
explore their thoughts and store information on which they and others can
comment? Perhaps, but isn't that possible somewhere else? How does that fit in
schoolforge?

For me, the concept of schoolforge is about people who have gotten far enough
in their education and experience to have the knowledge, skills and desire to
give something back, to build something useful to those running schools (not
excluding home schooling or even self-schooling or de-schooling ;-)).

Suppose a group of math teachers wants to design a free and open curriculum
for middle school math and even wants to build the courses and lessons needed
to teach it? Another possibility is that some teachers will want to help
develop an open source alternative to the Advanced Placement or International
Baccalaureate programs. These projects would need a means of planning, posting
drafts, comparing them, commenting on them and editing them. They would also
want a way to organize the result in an effective, accessible way and to
ensure that it is clearly linked to any courses that contain pre-requisite
lessons, similar lessons, or subsequent lessons.

In other words, what is called for here is not a way to explore thoughts, but
a way to collaborate, organize and publish thoughts.

--
David M. Bucknell
http://members.iteachnet.org/~david