Re: [seul-edu] Managing the coalition--responsibilities

El Jue 06 Dic 2001 00:12, escribió:
> On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 06:05:03PM +0000, Doug Loss wrote:
> > Perhaps it could be better defined, but I think it's important that
> > member groups take part in communications with similar groups.  If you
> > let people organize and talk among themselves, some groups will do just
> > fine because there will be one or two "sparkplugs" who take it upon
> > themselves to get things going, while others will never start talking.
>
> We already have a sparkplug required by putting an individual from each
> member group onto the 'schoolforge illuminati' list.
>
> I meant separate mailing lists for advocacy, for curriculum, etc.
>
> At least in the beginning, we don't want to try splitting seul-edu into
> a dozen different groups. We've tried that before, and fortunately it
> didn't kill the whole thing (it simply didn't catch on, which is ok too).

I'll put it short, so I might say less nonsenses. I've been around free soft
projects for several years, and the story is always the same:
- a determined guy with lots of time works a lot and get something done.

Burocracy has never helped to get things done. I do think that's pretty
absurd to try to "force" people to work on something, if they have the
time&motivation , then they'll do, obviously if time is scarce or no
motivation is present then you're going to get nothing.
But, I have to say something in favor of "organization", not burocracy,
I've seen many  "brute force driven" projects which could have been more
profitable if some kind of doc or methodology would have been applied.

I mean, if you can divide a large task into smaller ones, you might get
somebody to do that small task. Even if nobody enrolls to do that task, the
framework of your project will remain till somebody joins, so your project
will never die. It doesn't make sense ,either, to have some strong willed
individuals that perform a lot of work and that when they stop working ,
nobody can continue their job because they haven't paid attention to
organization details.

IMO, wikis and every day small work is the best way to success, either it's
rpm packaging, web updating, ...,

I know, I've said lots of generalities, but,... I'm seeing lots of manifestos
these days....

---
MGA