Re: [seul-edu] Schoolforge ready for Prime Time?

El Sáb 08 Dic 2001 12:12, escribió:
> "David M. Bucknell" wrote:
> > Meanwhile, here's a rough, first try at what the statement could be:
> >
> > <<Members of the Schoolforge Coaltion have the common goal of advocating
> > the use of free and open source tools and curricula in education, and
> > assisting them in their successful use and maintenance.
>
> Slight rewrite for pedantic reasons.  "Members of the Schoolforge
> Coaltion have the common goals of advocating the use of free and open
> source tools and curricula in education and assisting in their
> successful use and maintenance."  The "them" in the original would refer
> to the tools; this makes the two branchos of the prepositional clause
> following "of" equivalent in structure and clearer in meaning.  Just
> getting my grammatical chops in.

Members of the Schoolforge Coalition share lust for using free and open
source tools and curricula in education  and assisting in their sucessful use
and  maintenance.

Members of the Schoolforge Coalition aim for widespread use of free and open
source tools and curricula in education, providing necessary help in the use
and maintenance of such tools.

Schoolforge Coalition membership implies a commitment with the generalization
of use of free and open source tools and education curricula by helping out
with the use and maintenance of such tools.

Schoolforge Coalition membership involves a personal effort into guiding
people in the adoption and use of free and open source tools and education
curricula.

> > We aim to make our efforts more
> > effective and efficient by collaborating on and focusing our efforts,
> > because we are convinced that free and open source solutions are right
> > for education.
>
> "We aim to make our individual efforts more effective and efficient by
> collaborating and focusing on them, because we are convinced that free
> and open source solutions are right for education."  Similar reasoning
> to the first sentence; I added "individual" to "our efforts" to show
> that these were efforts of the coalition members rather than of the
> coalition itself.  Rather than repeat "our efforts," I went with "them'
> to make the sentence flow better.

We focus on improving individual efforts , thru collaboration, determined by
the conviction of the  convenience of free and open source solution in
education.

> > The road to free and open source technology and curricula is the road to
> > effective and sustainable school program development. At the Coalition
> > sites below, visitors will find the information and tools they need to
> > assist them at all stages of their journey.>>
> >
> > Suggestions, alternatives?
>
> I hope you don't mind a little editing.  I guess I got the editing genes
>
> >from my father, was was a newspaperman for 32 years.

(From a English learner)
---
MGA