Re: [seul-edu] Advice on Linux servers

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 08:36:10PM -0600, Dave Prentice wrote:

> I don't know if you're talking about a "big" router like Cisco, but my
> classroom has a 486-100 with a floppy and 16meg of RAM as the router. It
> runs freesco. There are 20 clients, and it's a 10mbit connection. So far it
> seems perfectly capable of meeting the demands of all the clients at once.
> It's so reliable that it's easy to forget it's there.

Don't forget that most Cisco's aren't exactly beast's either -- A 2500
series only has a 20MHz processor.

The same applies to the Lucent Wireless AP units. Open them up, and
they've got AMD 486 processors inside. They're good for 10Mbit so long
as you don't do anything fancy (like NAT).

Of course, that doeesn't apply to all Cisco equipment. You can get
multiprocessor giants that cost the same amount as a small house.

   - andrew

--
Andrew J. Reid                    "Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem
andrew.reid@plug.cx               mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane