Re: [seul-edu] Third draft of letter of invitation

"Jeremy C. Reed" wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Doug Loss wrote:
>
> > other academic institutions. We at SEUL/edu have noticed your
> > efforts to further the use of Linux, free software in general, and
> > other free resources in education.  By "free" we mean of course open
>
> Get rid of "of course".

No problem.

> > for everyone to inspect and modify to suit his or her needs as well
> > as available at little or no cost.  We are members of groups with
>
> Also, in many cases, the modified resource can be redistributed (shared
> with others).
>
> I think that is an important point to make; especially since many teachers
> already have free materials they can modify and reuse for their classes --
> but they can't modify and then share with fellow teachers.

This letter isn't going to go to the general public.  It's an invitation
to other projects working to get Linux and free rosources of all kinds
(software, texts, etc.) into the schools to join the Schoolforge
coalition.  Documents directed at the teachers to persuade them to use
free resources will of course :-) make that point.

> > and RedHat.  We'd like to invite you to join the
> > coalition and help us advance our shared goals of providing free
> > resources to our schools.  To join Schoolforge, just reply to this
>
> I am missing the point: why join?
>
> I see it benefits you ("help *us* advance"). How does it benefit the
> reader?

See above.  The reader will be a leader of a project with substantially
similar goals to the coalition's.  The "us" here isn't eveyrone but the
reader, it includes the reader with the rest of the projects in
Schoolforge.

--
Doug Loss          As long as I have you there is just
drloss@suscom.net  one other thing I'll always need--