[seul-edu] Schoolforge members

I've said this before, but what about those app/distro groups that
have already spoken up, including mimerdesk, schoomation,
bluelinux?

I have written nupedia and ibiblio asking them to check out the
conversation, as I did open book project.

Doug Loss followe up on these yesterday:

Don't make the mistake of being US-centric.  Le Projet SLIS
<http://slis.ac-grenoble.fr/> is a TCP/IP gateway for schools. It provides
advanced functions to students and teachers, such as a filtering
proxy/cache,
email addresses, access control, Web replication, Web mirroring, an
intranet
Web server with PHP and PostgreSQL, user management, DHCP, remote
monitoring of
a global set of SLIS servers, live update, etc. All of this is provided by
an
easy-to-use Web interface. All of the project is in French, but work is in
progress to make it international.

AbulEdu <http://www.abuledu.org/> is a suite of modules that help you
easily
set up and administer a school-wide Linux server for a heterogenous
network
with web-based administration, support for Internet connection sharing,
internal and external mail, X terminals, a collection educational
programs,
library management software, a software development toolkit, and some
crunchy
details like sharing a CD tower or authentication through ID cards. Also
French.

SAGU,<http://sagu.codigoaberto.org.br/> which is a portuguese acronym for
"Sistema Aberto de Gestco Unificada", was originaly designed to automate
all of
what that happens between a student and their Educational Institution.
This
relationship happens at the academic, financial and administrative levels,
and
SAGU has subsystems dedicated to these levels. SAGU can be tailored to fit
the
needs of any Educational Institution. From Brazil.

kmLinux <http://fsub.schule.de/linux/kmlinux.htm> is a Linux distribution
intended expressly for use in schools. It is developed by the
Landesbildungsserver Schleswig-Holstein (a govermental organization of the
Bundesstaat Schleswig-Holstein) in close cooperation with the Verein Freie
Software und Bildung (Union for Free Software and Education) and SuSE.
From
Germany.
==
As long as we don't have to worry about fitting them on the front page,
then why not be comprehensive. I echo the previous calls by others fro
_all_ to speak up for inclusion, if interested,  on such a page.

 David
[seuldu]
schoolforge members From: Roger Dingledine <arma@mit.edu>
 To: seul-edu@seul.org
 Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 00:33:52 -0500

I started a list of current members of the Schoolforge coalition.

http://schoolforge.net/members.html

It isn't pretty and it hasn't been integrated with the rest of the site
yet, but that comes later.

Did I leave anybody out so far?

People I'd like to send mail to when we do:
(and we should send this mail in a few days at most)

* OFSET
* KDE-edu

Are there other major Linux in education players that it would be nice
to get on board before we launch this thing?

--Roger