[seul-edu] A.L.I.C.E. AI Foundation Introdcution and Participation - www.alicebot.org

I recently joined this list and it came about as the Foundation was
mentioned in one of the seul.org reports as a good educational resource and
found out about Schoolforge. I ran this by our Board and agreed we would
participate in the project.

For those of you that are not familiar with ALICE, the project is an award
winning chatbot program, with a community of over 400 International
Developers and a strong commitment to free software.  We are licensed under
the GPL and have recently introduced two new implementations of ALICE;
Program E (a PHP implementation and Program Z a LISP implementation of
ALICE).  This past year we have seen more people become interested in ALICE
as an educational tool ranging from an elementary teacher using ALICE for a
primary grade vocabulary project to University level applications. We have
an extensive support community through our mail lists and a plus for people
using ALICE without much experience is the ability to ask any and all
questions on our lists.   This is an important factor when considering
using any type of application in education, or for that matter any use, as
people fear the most their "questions" are not warranted and they should be
able to figure whatever is happening in a program out but this is not the
case in the ALICE community as any and all questions are promptly answered
by a list member.  Support is as important as the software itself in many
cases.

As I have been following, one of the goals of Schoolforge is to extend this
concept to an international community.  The ALICE project now has
implementations of the software in German, Spanish, French,  Indonesian,
Portuguese,  Swedish, Dutch and perhaps some others that have been
translated.

Alicebot.org will again be exhibiting at LinuxWorld in NY in January.  We
first exhibited in San Francisco last August and the experience was a
positive one. The people coordinate the Expo (IDG), are supportive of any
new exhibitor and offer exposure to the press.  As an .org you get
everything for free and it is a great way to network and showcase
products.  You do not necessarily have to be an .org to be a part of the
Pavilion but involved in Linux in some way.  I think LInuxWorld would be a
great opportunity for Schoolforge and other .orgs to get exposure for the
coalition.  IDG Is always looking for new ideas an organizations to
promote.  There is still time to register if any .org is interested, but if
not, I will be happy to pass the information along to the Publicity
Director for the show and have information available for interested parties.

You are correct in not delaying getting this information out as soon as
possible.  I would suggest sending a release to Wired and also ZDNet.  Both
usually look for interesting and topical stories.  In view of the MS
settlement, it is definitely worthwhile to explore with as many people as
possible and let them know about the coalition.  Currently, the MS
settlement is on the minds and is a "hot topic" of many educational mail
lists I am subscribed.  I would be happy to post about school forge to
these groups.  Many are already using Linux in their schools, while others
(digital divide) are looking more to these type of installation as many of
these groups use donated computers which can run Linux.

I look forward to the work you are all doing and have a great deal of
respect for people who give their time, talents and know-how to helping our
education sector.  It is a sometimes thankless chore, but there is no
better reward when you can help people learn something new or know that you
have had a hand in perhaps influencing some young mind.

Brenda Freedman
A.L.I.C.E. Foundation
www.alicebot.org

One other item. I received in the mail yesterday our passes to the Expo
which if anyone is interested I can send out to you.  It allows free
admission to the Exhibits.