Re: [seul-edu] Also about Debian woody anyone know which cd's are required to install it?

on Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 07:33:43PM -0500, Matt Jezorek (matt@bluelinux.org) wrote:
> Seems to be 7 cds in one of the places I have found iso's of debian,
> any clue which ones are required to setup a basic system? I found a
> nice application for infrastructure that will only run on debian but
> it does have a ldap address book and other stuff in it. Actually a
> pretty nice project for infrastructure

Strictly, all you need is the base installation tarball and networking
support.  This need not be from your Debian install -- committing Robin
Miller's sin, there's more than one way to do it, and I've installed
Debian chrooted under other distributions.

Debian is strongly geared (though not dependent on) over-the-net updates
and upgrades.  Once you've got minimal support, generally your base
storage, peripherals, and networking, you can craft up your system from
there.  Strictly, the answer to your question is "none", but that's
probably not particularly helpful.

For a straightforward, from-CD, installation, I'd strongly recommend you
pick up a set of ISOs from Linux Central or a similar distro seller, and
go from there.  Cost is ~ US$10 for the three-disk set that comprises
Potato.

If you want to try an over-the-net install, the LNX-BBC bootable
GNU/Linux CDROM has an installer on it, debbootstrap, IIRC.  This will
install the remainder of the system over a network connection.

For other alternatives, the various installation methods are well
documented at the Debian Project's website.  Assuming an x86 system:

    General installation:
    http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install

    Chapter 5, Methods:
    http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-install-methods.en.html