Re: [seul-edu] free software / open source

Paolo Pumilia a écrit :

> Originally, there was no difference between the expressions
> 'free software" and "open source". The latter had been
> invented to get rid of the ambiguity in the term 'free'
> and to make acceptance of open software by non-technician
> people easier.
> In short, 'open source' sounded better to many people.

yes, sounds better to English-speaking people, because of this
ambiguity of the word "free"
In French(libre/gratuit), in Italian(libero/gratuito), in
German(frei/kostenlos), etc..., both meanings are covered by two
different words.

So we do not need to say "open source" for free software.

Moreover, free software actually *has* to do with freedom.

And be very careful : "open source" happens to be used by bigger
software companies to cover their some of their bad commercial practice
like using nice people from the developers "community"  to debug their
commercial software for free... and still taking all licence advantage
to themselves leaving nothing at all to the nice helping "community" guy
!

This is one reason why you would better say "free software"
(of course these bad practice cannot be done with "free software")
cf
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html#newinnovember

> Recently somebody claimed there are differences in princple
> between the two expressions: 'free software" would stand as
> defence of freedom of programmers and users, 'open source'
> would merely point out technical/economical advanges of 'free'
> programs.
>
> Why should one believe that statement as a matter of fact?

cf above

--
Odile Bénassy                                 http://obenassy.free.fr/
Protection de l'Innovation contre les Brevets http://swpat.ffii.org/