[seul-edu] [Fwd: Microsoft wants to take over the El Salvador government

I just got this email from a linux user in El Salvador.

Babel Fish Translation, In English:

                      Friends of the Linux users group in El Salvador,  I
have read and listened in diverse sources that the El Salvador central
government is going to give " a good example " licensed all its software, by
its  position already they know.  Who will be  best beneficiary? Microsoft.

This  week I read in the "El Diario de Hoy" newspaper
http://www.elsalvador.com/ that Microsoft is doing a pact also with   the
municipal governments so that also they license and they acquire products
in benefit of Microsoft. And everything in the end who will  pay for it?
We   with our taxes. Think about millions $$ that were spent, think about
wastefulness,    think that our government falls  into the hands of a single
company of software  that not even is national (local).

While in others countires yet developed in all the senses have realized that
this
   serious one foolish or are  proposing politics or plans so that
their                       governments utilizes free software to reduce
cost, to maintain its independence,  security, etc and here in El Salvador
we go backwards? - ( What you think? What
     think that our  group should do? to remain with the arms crossed (just
watching)  without    doing without saying nothing.

Is clear that we should  present ours opinion is needed.   We need the
citizen   participation, we must expose to the community in general the
benefits of open   source, the low costs, and furthermore  advantages that
all this entails. I hope that we   do not allow that Microsoft seizes of our
central and municipal governments. And    that within years says to us that
they found other lost "father of our country" that is named" Bill Gate " is
called and instead of our flag we have the flag of Microsoft or the one of
  Windows. Linux users of El Salvador you wake up the mother country is
calling you.

(Background note: Microsoft employs the El Salvador government employees to
audit businesses computers for license compliances, and collects fines and
penalties for Microsoft.  )

My opinion is that we should help the linux users of El  Salvador any way we
can to look at open source software as an option.  Any ideas??

Emilio
See original msg below: