Re: [seul-edu] free software / open source

Bill wrote:

> Folks, the web site is nice and the mailing list is probably
> essential. But all of it is empty unless there is action ... and lots
> of it ... to go with all the fine words. If you are a hotshot with
> words, get together with others and start hammering out a curriculum
> for each grade level with the goal of turning out programmers, RHCE's
> (at least) and fully qualified application users at the end point in
> the instruction. There is a LOT of training material that needs to be
> written and tested and re-written and re-tested until there is a body
> of work we can just toss on a desk and say "There it is. It works.
> Use it." We can't afford to let ourselves get sidetracked into empty
> discussions ... we haven't the time to spare.

I second Bill's call to get involved and actually help create the
material we need for this effort to succeed.  But let's not define all
discussions as "empty" and useless.  The only way we can get an
understanding of what we need to do is by discussing it among
ourselves.  Those discussions need to keep sight of what the ultimate
goals are, of course.  And when a general understanding of what needs to
be done is reached, it's very important that we translate that into
action.  But the discussion is important too.  After Christmas we'll
look into setting up specific groups for public relations, curriculum
development, etc., to begin acting on our discussions, OK?

--
Doug Loss          As long as I have you there is just
drloss@suscom.net  one other thing I'll always need--