Re: [seul-edu] What does OS-X mean to a Linux user?

S. Berret Dolph wrote:
> Will this mean that software for OS-X will be useable for
> a Linux user? Specifically, I will need to start using
> Quark desktop publishing in order to format my books in
> order to publish them here in Taiwan.

Maybe. I don't see that happening though. OS-X is based on FreeBSD which is a
little different than Linux. I expect to see stuff for FreeBSD first if they
do anything. Personally I'd like to see a native QuickTime for Linux. Though,
CrossOver works pretty well.

> It seems that I will
> have to go back to Windows, Mac's are quite expensive here, in
> order to do this. Am I simply doomed to this fate?

No, not doomed. Mac's are pretty expensive. I see them only useful for video
editing. To write books try Pathetic Writer from http://siag.nu It outputs to
LOTS of formats (including PDF and PS).

Chris Hornbaker