Re: Open Content Education (was Quiz robot)

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, thi wrote:
> seems like the topics for mastery are passing out of the merely
> informational and to the procedural.  it is easy to master any
> informational topic by grepping the Net.  it is harder to master a
> procedural topic (aka skill) because you have to actually do stuff.

It reminds me of the move from written examinations (to measure
programming ability) to a mix between written and practical examinations
at my university.

I think what we need here is something beyond the written examination.
With interactive systems, this is now possible.  Very little work has gone
into this area; the ground is open for the breaking.

Most existing efforts end up trying to put the paper exam into the
computer.  What they really should be doing is to develop new ways of
evaluating the student, making full use of the interactive component.

Let's start a thread on how such evaluations could best be designed.  I
propose that we first identify the key objectives of evaluation; e.g. what
do we want to quantify about the candidate?

---
Rhandeev Singh                          rhandeev@comp.nus.edu.sg
Linux User Group                        http://linux.comp.nus.edu.sg
School of Computing                     http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg